A little over a month ago I took a day off work. Willow, Justin, and I headed to Wichita on a Thursday night. In the morning, Justin left for Colby. I had a day with my mom, a nice lunch with a friend, and then a trip out to Salina with mom. That is where I met Justin and Kassy on their way back from Colby. When Justin arrived, after having driven about 8 hours, he was GRUMPY, Kassy was GRUMPY and after about 10 minutes in the car with them, I was grumpy too. I knew I would not be going along for any part of these trips from now on. (not just because of the grumpiness... but also the extra miles the detour to Wichita caused)
Because this drive is now a part of Justin and Kassy's life (every other weekend) and I live with them, I knew this attitude needed to change. So now Justin takes my iPod on these trips (instead of like 5 cd's). On my iPod I have loaded lots of This American Life episodes and Moth pod casts. This means that the first 4.5 hours in the car=Story Time (instead of stewing time). How can you be pissed about story time? After story time is over, Kassy is picked up from school by an educated and invigorated father (maybe a stretch). That begins movie time. Kassy chooses a movie that can be viewed in the car on the way home. This is nice unwinding time for her the the vehicle and is the only time in our care she ever watches movies/tv.
After movie time (or during it) Kassy and her dad go on an ADVENTURE! How exciting. The first adventure led them to the Salina Art Center. They got out of the car and spent over an hour looking at and creating art. They also got some good dinner. This time they went WAY OFF the beaten path, to Monument Rock. Do you believe this is Kansas? Kassy loved it. She couldn't wait to tell me all about it in the morning. Kassy also had a chance to add to her beloved rock collection on this adventure.
Next adventure? Well it will be Halloween. So instead of rushing back to trick-or-treat in our neighborhood, they will be trick-or-treating the whole way home! I am working on a candy chart, so that Kassy can count up what she gets in each city as she travels to the next one. Math, candy, geography, candy.... good stuff. Do you know of any good towns to stop at?
2 comments:
Way to make something as un-fun as a car trip into an adventure! I admire your ways. Wow, I didn't know Justin had to drive all that way to get Kassy. You guys are awesome. By the way, how did the stew turn out?
I would think Lucas would be quite the place for the trick-or-treating... Wilson is a really safe little town and only a couple miles off the Interstate. Ellsworth is a little farther but a little bigger. I think this is a really great idea!
Post a Comment