I spent some time in Mexico while I was in College. A two week visit. A two month stay. And a few more trips the year after my stay. I lived near an orphanage and hung out with the kids. We made art, and I took a few kids each day to the pool in town... or out for ice cream. It was an amazing and hard time. The kids would right my name Beli. And say it like that be-lee. They would chant my name and do goofy things to me. In a place with few adults-- with few treats-- I was well loved by those great little guys.
Well-- Beli is loved again. This time by my own little lady, Olive. She nursed until around 20 months and in the months since weening was complete... she has started to ask for my Be-li. Belly. My belly. She wants to touch her face to my belly. She wants to pull up her little 2T shirt and press her belly on mine. In the night, if she wakes up scared-- first she wants "BELI"-- then Baby-- the doll she is also attached to. I love that this closeness brings her comfort. My belly-- which is often a un-loved part of my body-- saves the day. I wonder how long my 22 month old girl will call out for my Beli...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment